Mission and History

Mission and History of UCP of Northwest Missouri

Big dreams, coming true. That’s how we describe our progress at UCP.

We’ve come a long way since 1968, when we began with a small children’s program that met three mornings a week.

Just a few years later, UCP was offering therapies to children, and by 1975, the preschool program was launched to provide early intervention services to children. The Adult Program followed in 1980.

We began reaching out to the community and providing referrals and support to families through an Advocacy Program in 1985. In 1987, the employment piece was added to help people with disabilities find meaningful work.

Through the generosity of our community, a big dream came true in 1993 when UCP moved into its current location on Frederick Avenue. Our capacity to provide services also continues to grow – we are assisting 400 people each year!

Representing one of few integrated preschool settings in Northwest Missouri, we began welcoming children of all abilities to learn, grow and thrive at UCP Preschool in 2007.

Big dreams are also taking shape in the Adult Program. Today it is UCP’s fastest growing service. When we needed more space to make our big dreams for our clients come true, the community stepped in. Through Progressive Community Services (Buchanan County Senate Bill 40 Board) and private donations, we opened a 1700-foot Adult Program expansion in September of 2010.

We’re so proud of the work we’ve all done together over the years. Thank you, on behalf of the families, children, adults and staff of UCP of Northwest Missouri for helping make our dreams come true!

Teresa Gagliano
Executive Director, UCP

strategic-planning-at-ucp

expansion